What are Network Tokens?
Tokenization is the process of protecting sensitive data by replacing it with an algorithmically generated number. When card payment methods are tokenized the cardholder’s primary account number (PAN) is converted into a series of randomly generated numbers/characters representing the card number, or a token.
As Card-on-File and Card-Not-Present payments have increased, tokenization has been an important part of making accepting cards online more secure and less risky for all parties. Tokens allow merchants, acquirers, and payment service providers to comply with PCI standards and minimize the risk that comes with the storage of sensitive card details – tokens are used everywhere instead of the card number. This can make the storage of data safer, but actually processing transactions and taking payments has traditionally required that the token is converted back into a PAN for processing.
Recognizing the weakness in this final step, EMVCo and the major card networks have decided to augment their networks’ capabilities and build tokenization directly into the network. This is “Network Tokenization – EMVCo has defined a standard where you can obtain a token for a PAN, receive updates regarding the cardholder’s PAN and then use the Network Token for transaction processing. This means that the eco-system around the card networks can now tokenize cards directly with Visa, MasterCard, Amex, JCB, UnionPay, and both store this data and processing transactions with this data without the need for ever using or seeing the original PAN. It also means that if anything happens to a customer’s PAN, the Network Token can continue to transact.
What does this mean for the industry? Better customer relationships, revenue saved, and lower fraud. For the first time, there is actually a systematic way to reduce the risk of the card, not present transaction because the issuer, merchant, and the networks themselves are no longer exposing sensitive data to be stolen or misused. This means not only are you safer, but you will also achieve better performance at a lower cost.
2. Card PAN
3. EMV Token
- American Express
- JCB (pending their launch)
- UnionPay (pending their launch)
- Other local networks (eftpos in Australia, Interac in Canada, etc.)
Supported Merchant Countries
Any merchant location using an acquirer or payment service provider that supports Network Tokens.
Supported Issuer Countries
Higher Approval Rates
According to Visa, you can expect a 3-5% increase in approval rates using Network Tokenization.
Up to 30% of all cards are reissued each year. Using network tokens can help you avoid lost sales and unnecessary customer churn!
Better Customer Experiences
Show your customers accurate card details when they buy.
Network tokens make it easier to manage card data in your environment, build a payment processing infrastructure, and reduce your PCI scope. They also allow you to remain independent from your gateway/processor.
Coverage & Support
- Support for all relevant countries and networks
- Knowledgeable and responsive customer support
- Integrates quickly into existing vault architecture
- Get started in minutes with a simple API and full EMVCo functionality
Flexibility & Performance
- Increase authorization rates
- We support multiple payment service providers (PSPs) so you have the freedom and control to route payments through the most optimal partners
- Low latency
- Cloud-based service
How it Works
- After integrating with our service, you’ll be able to:
- Send card details directly from your platform/payment system to Toucan and obtain a Visa, MasterCard, Amex Network Token
- Receive a cryptogram for tokens so that you can transact with any PSP or acquirer
- Receive easy-to-use updates about cards so you can keep your customer records updated
- Provide a better customer experience by showing accurate card art and card details
Cards on File with Pagos
Perfect for Exploring F
Up to 1,000,000 Cards
Optimize and Grow your Business
Up to 5,000,000 Cards
For Complex Solutions of Large Companies
We are a passionate team of payments veterans and technologists who know that better data can lead to better outcomes for customers, leading to higher revenue and lower costs for businesses. We know that taking advantage of Network Tokenization should be faster to implement, adaptable to your needs, and fully featured to enable the best cardholder experiences.